AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine (PALTC) is seeking the next editor-in-chief (EiC) of its news publication, Caring for the Ages.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The EiC of Caring for the Ages sets the editorial direction and is responsible for implementing editorial policies. The EiC is expected to have a broad knowledge of PALTC and a clearly articulated vision for the publication. The EiC serves at the pleasure of the AMDA Board of Directors and must be a member of the Society.
The EiC of Caring for the Ages will be responsible for cultivating and overseeing the Editorial Advisory Board and will set the standards for the content published. The EiC will work closely with the managing editor, a journalist on staff with AMDA’s publishing partner, Elsevier. With the input of the Editorial Advisory Board and in close collaboration with the managing editor, the EiC will select topics and identify potential columnists and contributors. The managing editor is responsible for soliciting content, assigning freelance contributors, and coordinating contributions with the regular columnists. The EiC approves all content prior to publication.
The EiC is responsible for:
- Working with the managing editor to develop an editorial calendar and approve topics for editorial development
- Suggesting article topics and/or concepts for new columns and features
- Reviewing and light editing of issue content
- Collaborating with AMDA and the Publisher to set the strategy and goals for the publication
AMDA anticipates a time commitment of approximately 5-10 hours per issue. The EiC will receive a nominal honorarium in recognition of his/her service to AMDA.
Qualifications and Required Skills
AMDA is seeking a dynamic individual interested in editorial content development, including identifying topics of interest to the PALTC community. The new EiC will guide the future development of this important news vehicle of AMDA, with a focus on enhancement of the publication online. Additionally, the EiC must:
- Be physician or advanced practice professional and member of AMDA
- Be actively practicing in the PALTC continuum with broad knowledge of the field
- Be in a position to attract respected experts to serve on the Editorial Advisory Board and as columnists
- Possess editorial experience and a basic understanding of the publishing process
- Demonstrate a willingness to collaborate with AMDA leadership and the Publisher to set strategic goals for the publication
- Be interested in innovating and developing digital content to attract readership beyond AMDA membership
- Have a willingness to explore the use of social media and technology tools as a means of enhancing readership
- Demonstrate strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills
AMDA expects that the EiC will perform the editorial obligations in a professional manner demonstrating competence, integrity, and ethics, and will not engage in any conduct that may bring harm or disrepute upon the publication or the Society.
The new EiC for Caring for the Ages will assume full editorial responsibility for the publication in mid-2019. This will follow a brief transition period during which time the new EiC will work alongside the current EiC. The EiC term will run through December 2021. Thereafter, the EiC contract may be extended by mutual agreement of the AMDA Board of Directors and the EiC.
Interested candidates should submit an application package, for consideration by AMDA’s Editor-in-Chief Search Committee, that includes:
- A current curriculum vitae
- A letter of interest that summarizes the candidate’s qualifications, including relevant editorial experience, and confirms candidate’s ability (or approval from university if required) to commit the necessary time to serve as EiC
- A vision statement describing the applicant’s goals for Caring for the Ages
Application materials should be submitted to by Monday, February 18, 2019. AMDA will acknowledge and confirm receipt of all applications. Please send any questions about the position or the search process to firstname.lastname@example.org. An AMDA representative will respond to your inquiries. All application materials and questions about this search will be kept confidential. No phone calls and no recruiters, please.
About Caring for the Ages
Caring for the Ages is the official newspaper of AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care. Celebrating its 20th year of publication in 2019, Caring for the Ages provides PALTC professionals with timely and relevant news and commentary about clinical developments and about the impact of health care policy on long-term care medicine.
Each issue of Caring for the Ages contains news of relevance for anyone practicing in settings across the PALTC continuum. In addition to news features, Caring for the Ages publishes columns by experts in the field covering legal and regulatory issues, medical ethics, practice management, and innovations in PALTC.
Published in partnership with Elsevier, Caring for the Ages will publish eight issues in 2019, both in print and digitally (https://www.caringfortheages.com/). Print issues are distributed to all AMDA members and the publication is freely available online for all health care providers.