AMDA Announces 2015-2016 Board of Directors
Columbia, MD – AMDA—The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine is pleased to announce its 2015-2016 Board of Directors. “We are very fortunate to have such an excellent group of experienced, passionate and visionary leaders to move our organization forward in an evolving health care landscape in which we are confronted with unprecedented challenges and opportunities,” said AMDA Executive Director Christopher Laxton, CAE.
Naushira Pandya, MD, FACP, CMD, is the 2015-2016 AMDA Board of Directors President. An AMDA member for 15 years, she has served in numerous leadership positions including as Chair of the AMDA Clinical Practice Guideline Steering Committee and the Clinical Practice Committee. She has been instrumental in the development of several AMDA Clinical Practice Guidelines, and is active in her state chapter, the Florida Medical Directors Association.
Dr. Pandya is Chair of the Department of Geriatrics and a Professor at Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine. She earned her medical degree at the University of London, England, and completed her Internal Medicine residency at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ, and her fellowship in Geriatrics and Endocrinology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. She is board-certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, and Endocrinology. Dr. Pandya recently served on a panel of experts at the White House Conference on Aging Regional Forum in Tampa, FL. At last month’s AMDA Annual Conference, Dr. Pandya called on attendees to work with her to raise the bar of quality care provided to post-acute and long-term care patients. "I think we do well in PALTC medicine, but could do even better with improving the care experience. We can do so by communication with patients and families, timely assessment when patients decline, focusing on medication safety and appropriate use, interprofessional team-based care, and discussion of goals of care.”
Other members of the 2015-2016 AMDA Board of Directors are:
- President-Elect Susan M. Levy, MD, CMD, AGSF, Bethany Beach, DE
- Vice President Heidi K. White, MD, MHS, MEd, CMD, Durham, NC
- Immediate Past President Leonard Gelman, MD, CMD, Ballston Spa, NY
- Chair, House of Delegates Milta O. Little, DO, CMD, St. Louis, MO
- Secretary Daniel Haimowitz, MD, FACP, CMD, Levittown, PA
- Treasurer Arif Nazir, MD, CMD, Indianapolis, IN
- State Presidents Council Representatives to the Board:
- Thomas Lehner, MD, CMD, Cleveland, OH
- Meenakshi Patel, MD, CMD, FACP, MMM, CMD, Centerville, OH
- Karl Steinberg, MD, CMD, Oceanside, CA
- Board Representatives—House of Delegates:
- Michele Bellantoni, MD, CMD, Baltimore, MD
- Kevin W. O’Neil, MD, CMD, Sarasota, FL
- Sabine von Preyss-Friedman, MD, CMD, Seattle, WA
AMDA – The Society for Post-Acute and Long-Term Care Medicine is dedicated to excellence in patient care and provides education, advocacy, information and professional development to promote the delivery of quality post-acute and long-term care medicine.